Monday, November 18, 2013

An Incredible Journey: My Birth Story

Have you ever had an experience that you just want to share with the world? As a mother, I know each one of us who have experienced birth in any way want to shout it from the mountaintops!! So, without further ado, here is my fourth birth story. It was amazing, incredible, spiritual, scary and exciting all at once!

I started feeling slight contractions Friday, 15 minutes apart and lasting about a minute each. I thought I was in early labor! I was so excited as Saturday was my due date!

I decided to walk Saturday. My parents graciously took Faithful Boys with them for the day and Mr. Faithful and I took two awesome nature walks throughout the day. It was very much needed for the two of us as husband and wife. We were able to talk, reminisce and share our dreams of what our unborn baby would look like, if baby was a boy or girl, how the boys would react when he or she is here. It was truly a wonderful day! My contractions started coming slightly closer but still not strong at all. I was so impatient at this point...I wanted to have this baby!!!!

Here I am last Saturday (Nov 9th) before our walk.

Sunday we went to Mass. I was miserable. I decided to offer my Mass and day up for God's will to be done. I asked for patience and understanding, for comfort and joy during these last days of my pregnancy. Thanks be to God, He answered my prayers!!

Monday very early morning I was awakened by strong contractions, still only 10-15 minutes apart. I became excited thinking it was the day!! I immediately thanked the Lord for this day, and said out loud before getting out of bed "Your will be done." It was the best thing I could've said on this day.

I felt at peace. I knew Heavenly Father answered my cries for joy and comfort. I was no longer anxious or impatient for baby to arrive. I felt great knowing it was God's timing and not my own. I ignored my contractions and went about my morning. Fed the boys breakfast, started school with the older boys and just relaxed as much as I could.

By 10:00am I called Mr. Faithful and asked him to come pick the boys and me up and take us to my Mom's. This way we'd be closer to the hospital and Mr. Faithful could go back to work for a little longer. 

I spent the rest of this Monday totally relaxed. I sat on Mom's couch meditating, breathing if I needed to and watching my boys. I prayed many Hail Mary's too. I wasn't in pain, my contractions stayed at about 8-10 minutes apart from about 1:00-3:30. By that time I called my sister, who happens to be a labor & delivery nurse, to come to check me to see if I'd be ready to head to the hospital anytime soon. Mr. Faithful got there around the same time as my sister. It was about 4:45pm.

So, she checked me and my bag was bulging! She couldn't get an accurate dilation due to her feeling that my water may break. Even though my contractions were 6-7 minutes apart and I wasn't in pain or feeling that the contractions were that strong, we decided at this point to head to the hospital. 

And so my incredible journey began....

By the time we were about two miles down the road my contractions jumped to 4 minutes apart. They were getting MUCH stronger and in between the main ones, I'd get small intense contractions as well. We had a 30 minute drive to the hospital; we thought for sure we had time.

We were about 10 minutes away from the hospital when I text everyone to pray for a good delivery and that baby was coming today! It was just about 5:40pm Monday. 

Mr. Faithful had a special route planned so we avoided the railroad and the downtown area....for those who know me or live in Illinois, we delivered at Good Sam in Downers Grove. Well, my husband in all the excitement, FORGOT. And guess what? Yep, you probably guessed right....we got stuck in traffic and by a train!!!!!!

At this point I was panting. I was crying and sobbing to Mr. Faithful, "Why did you go this way?!?" As I said that, he (as calmly as he could) said, "Just breathe sweetheart. Calm down. I've got the driving, you concentrate on relaxing." Then we BuMpEd over the tracks. I think I yelled that my water was going to break. 

As he drove, Mr. Faithful was trying to honor what is asked of him while I was in pray. I don't think I have ever heard him recite all our prayers kind of intertwined and like a super fast auctioneer...."Hail Mary full of grace and lead us not into temptation St. Michael defend us in battle..." You get the was hilarious!!!!

He finally approached the entrance and at that point I moaned. Being through 3 previous births, my awesome hubby knew to head to the ER. We pulled up...we walked in. He helped the person there sit me down in a wheelchair and then said he'd be right back - he went to get the van out of the way of the doors.

At this point I yelled, "This baby's coming!!!!!" I knew at any moment my water was going to break. I had my eyes closed and was so focused on trying to keep everything in tact till they got me up to OB. 

Ya....that didn't happen.

I heard the ER staff yelling, "We need OB down here NOW!!!"

They were wheeling me to the nearest ER room. As they did they hit a bump....and - POP! 

Water broke - and as soon as that happened I felt the baby's head in between my my pants!!!!!!

I screamed I think the loudest I've ever screamed, "The water broke - baby's head is OUT!!!!!!! GET THESE PANTS OFF OF ME!!!!!!!!" They at this point had my arms and legs spread like a at my right arm tugging at my at my left trying to get a hep lock in...and one on either leg pulling my shoes off - all the while I'm lifted fully in the air and they are trying to get me on the bed. No one was listening to me and I couldn't get out of their grasp!!! I yelled what I feel was like 20 times "Get these pants off!! My baby's out!!!! Baby is in my pants!!!!!!" 

They FINALLY got the dumb pants down and I hear the doctor say, "Baby's head is out."

No duh!!!!!

At this point my poor husband comes in...looks at me, drawn and quartered....looks down and sees our child's head...turns as white as a sheet and puts his hands to his head. The TWELVE ER staff members pushed him to the side as it was MASS CHAOS!!!! 

They told me to push...I never needed to. I moved my legs ever so slightly and the baby just slid out ha ha!! No pain at was wonderful yet the scariest experience of our lives!!!!

IT'S A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After almost 7 years of boys, a little girl!!! We are proud parents of three boys and a beautiful sweet GIRL!!!!!!

God's will be done!!!!! Praise You Heavenly Father!!!!!!!

I have more to add to this story so stay tuned for the next addition of my incredible journey!!!!


  1. Aaahh I totally forgot to put her stats!!! Faithful Girl was born at 5:58pm Monday, November 11. 8 lbs 9 oz 20.5 in!!!!

  2. Ha! I love a good birth story and this was a good one! Congratulations. It's nice to see a fellow OLOG blogger!